Friday, December 3, 2010

Service Learning

Here is a portion of a recent blog I wrote for Plugged in Parents about Service Learning.  This is so important to me and helps guide my teaching.  It goes along with Character Education which, if you don't me, you have no idea how much I truly believe in Character Education --educating the 'whole child.'  There is more to teaching than just teaching academics.

I am always inspired when working on a service project at school. The heart of a child is like that of no other. They truly give with all of their heart and the meaning is always pure. Seeing the face of a six year old light up when he pulls out 2 cans of green beans from his backpack to contribute to a Thanksgiving meal for someone is worth a million dollars. The child was able to contribute to the whole process; he chose a food, went shopping, and sorted his food into the vegetable stack. Why was he so excited about those green beans? Because it is his favorite vegetable and he wanted someone else to be able to enjoy it too.


To read more of the post click here!

No comments:

Post a Comment