Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Cleaning out the Closet

Last night as I was finishing dinner, I decided I couldn’t wait any longer….I had to clean out my closet.  I was sick of looking at all the stuff in there, never being able to find anything, and shuffling past all kinds of stuff that I don’t wear anymore.  I should add that we live in an older house that was built before the days of large walk-in closets, so I don’t have a whole lot of room anyway.

I usually go on a closet purge two or three times a year and I come up with a bag of stuff to donate to goodwill.  I don’t usually get rid of everything I need to because I hold some sort of attachment to these things…and I think, “Oh, I might wear that again when it gets warmer out.” It usually just hangs there taking up space and never getting worn.  By last night, I had had enough…I pulled out anything that I haven’t worn or that didn’t fit right, which is another bad habit of mine…I sometimes will keep things that don’t fit right because I think, what if I’m that size again, I’ll need it.  Well you know what; I’m not that size anymore.  I hope I’m not ever again.  I’m not going to keep clothes that don’t fit “just in case.”  Ick.

I found something in my closet that STILL HAD TAGS!  How embarrassing is that?  I’m donating it because it doesn’t fit and I’m not even sure why I bought it in the first place.  No joke, it has probably been in my closet for 2 ½ years. *wipes brow* *can’t believe I just admitted that*

After I went through the closet, I did something unthinkable….I went for the shoes….I know…SHOES.  I’m not obsessive about shoes by any means, but the shoes I do have, I love.  Until I wear them so much that they’ve worn out and can’t walk down the school hallway without being in pain.  I got rid of 4 pair of shoes.  I parted with the most comfy pair of black flats I’ve ever owned, and it was time.  See ya, black flats!

Then there were purses…


I just donated purses back in the spring, so all I did was organize the shelf, look and see if there were any extra dollar bills hiding in the pockets, and put them back nice and neat.  No need to go crazy or anything. J

Ahhhh...i feel the weight of two large bags of clothes coming off my shoulders....

**Side note** I’m at school, dressed like an elf because our students surpassed a service goal they set.  Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

  1. We cleaned out our closet the day before we left for vacation, because it was just too annoying. Good for you! I think I need to go through the shoes and purses too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kapow! Way to go! You know, if you ever need to get rid of "bigger" clothes, you can call me. I need to do some shopping... just sayin'! :)

    ReplyDelete